Frequently Asked Product Questions

Beer & Wine Product Approvals

Tab/Accordion Items

You must have the appropriate ABC permit, before submitting your product to the Product Compliance Section for approval.

Please refer to Product Approval for more information


ALL PRODUCTS MUST BE APPROVED REGARDLESS OF THE CONTAINER. Label approval requirements depend on how the products are stored/packaged. Stationary Tanks - If the products are piped from stationary tanks, the tank must contain a Federal Government Health Warning statement. State product approval is required. No labels need to be submitted for stationary tanks. Kegs - If the products are piped from movable kegs, the kegs must contain all required label information, including the Government Health Warning statement. Kegs require both product and label approval by the state as well as TTB. If a brewery is producing and selling only in-state, the state does not require TTB COLA approval.

The state as well as TTB require label approval if the growler is prefilled. If the container is filled upon request, the state requires a secondary label that does not require approval.

The maximum alcoholic content by volume for all malt beverage products is 15%.

Not necessarily. You may complete the analysis statement on the Label/Product Approval form or submit a certified analysis.

Cider is classified as an unfortified wine and can be sold by retailers holding unfortified wine permits.

Please see G.S. §105-113.80 and §105-113.83 ( or contact the Department of Revenue.


The supplier must complete the Distribution Agreement Filing form. This could be a NC winery, NC Wine Producer, NC brewery, NC importer, NC bottler, or a nonresident vendor.

No, you cannot assign multiple wholesalers to a territory for the same brand. Territories must be exclusive for each wholesale distributor, even if the wholesaler has multiple locations. Each wholesale location must have territories assigned for that specific location.

You must submit new Distribution Agreement Filing forms assigning the new wholesaler (the purchaser) and a letter indicating what has transpired. A change of ownership of the distributor is not grounds to change distributors.

No, it is advised a copy is kept at all times.

Letter from the producer or bottler for imported wines.

If they are between companies who hold the same permit types (ex. Brewery and brewery, winery and winery)

For Beer: .3%, for Wine: 1.5%

Can: If there is a licensing agreement between the companies, a business's ingredients are being used, it’s a private label. 

Can’t: Not a private label and the business currently holds an ABC Permit, a collaboration with a business.